Repairing UAC that does not show GUI or allow changes

I have a few applications that will open in the background, and even show a flash as if something is happening in the Window, but nothing ever loads as a GUI. Any way to debug or fix this?

Currently it is happening in Adobe Reader (I tried re-installing), my UAC (Change User Account Settings) and IE11. In the case of Adobe Reader, I was able to fix by Interestingly, adding to PATHEXT .PDF and that fixed the one issue. Not sure if that is the correct fix.

Background on this, a known bug in IEll caused a white screen, so I attempted to remove files and allow Windows to re-install. In this process I "set to default" the UAC settings and had moved IE's program folder to a sub causing a lot of locks and symlink issues just for IE.

Another modification made at the time was removing and re-installing 'C:/openssl', and installing the latest of git. But I would think this has little to do with the issue.

As for repairing/installing Windows 8.1, this is an upgrade from 7, so I do not have a Windows 8 iso or disk.

Answer
Answer

Hi Sharief,

I was able to fix all of the issues and really appreciate the help your online team has given me. During the course of problems, I have bashed Microsoft, Windows and IE, but in all reality you guys work hard and are a smart bunch. As for the IE issue, I was able to fix in command line turning -extoff in the process, then resetting. Bellow are the steps taken. Thanks again for all your help.

I opened IE11 from the command using C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer> iexplore -extoff

Shane

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 22, 2023 Views 2,588 Applies to: